Did you know there are 16 sectors of critical infrastructure in the United States? Yes, that’s right, there are 16 areas deemed critical to our nation. Can you guess any of them?
If financial was one of your answers, bonus points! The financial sector is very critical to our nation’s economy. To protect such a critical infrastructure, we all must be willing to participate. Whether it’s in our actions with our sensitive information, talking to our families about what scam to watch out for, or enrolling in an ID theft plan, we all play a crucial part in protecting our finances.
What can you do?
Here are some free steps you can take to protect your accounts:
- Make a list of your most important accounts – bank account login and email should be at the top of this list
- Think of ways to protect those logins – either with multi-factor authentication or creating a new stronger passphrase
- Change the password on those accounts
- Enroll in a password management service so you are not using the same password across multiple accounts
- Keep your accounts private – do not share the details with anyone
- Learn more about cybersecurity – there are lots of great free courses out there
Check out my Resources page for more great info – including a new infographic about protecting the nation’s critical infrastructure. And you can get check out the full Homeland Security list of critical sectors here.
Have another thought, tip or suggestion? Leave it in the comments below. I would love to hear from you!
October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month! Each week this month I’m bringing you a new article focused on that week’s specific cybersecurity theme. Let’s raise cyber awareness and stop cybercrime!